Tip of the Week: A meal, snack, or pre-workout energy bar or mix are super important to have before engaging in a workout, without them your exercise performance will suffer.
A general rule is to make sure you’ve had a meal about 2 hours before a workout. If you’re unable to have a meal 2-3 hours before exercising, then a protein or energy bar/shake 30-45 minutes before your exercise will suffice. Not only will your performance during the workout suffer due to lack of energy, but for those whose bodies have not yet acclimated to consistent physical exertion, you run the risk of becoming light-headed, vomiting, passing out, etc.
This week we’ll add a bit more to the exercises so that you can push yourself past where you ended the last week. We’ll also be continuing to condition your body for some higher intensity workouts for next week and beyond. Each exercise should be done at your own pace and resistance level. For now your goal is to get your body acclimated to doing physical activities for a lengthy period of time. There is no need to set any speed records with these exercises, just give a good effort. As for the non-cardio focused exercises, go for form with each repetition. If you notice yourself going out of form, cut the set short and make up for it in another set. Try not to leave too much time between sets. Especially with the core exercises, you’ll have to learn how to continue through the burn. The burn is where all the magic happens.
Next week, I’ll begin separating workouts into individual days. The workout plans that include cardiovascular exercise and some weight lifting exercises. You can choose to do both or just one depending on your goals. I would recommend you do both if yo have access to a gym. I’ll try to add some strength training for those without a gym. There will also be fitness tips, insight into why we’re doing this at all, and words of advice.
Welcome to the second week in the Summer Workout Series. If you missed last week’s workout here is the link: Week 1
3 to 4 times this week do:
- 1.5 miles of running plus another mile of walking
- 15 – 20 mins stationary bike (If you have access to one). Increase the resistance level from the prior week by 1 level.
- 15 – 20 mins elliptical or stair-stepper (If you have access to one). Increase the resistance level from the prior week by 1 level.
- 3 sets of 20-25 crunches
- 3 sets of 15-25 push-ups (or modified push-ups)
- 2 sets of 30 second side planks (each side)
- 15 burpees
For those who want to rock the guns out while the sun’s out, this week’s goals will consist of only body weight exercises:
- 150 – 225 push-ups by the end of the week.
- 20 – 40 pull-ups by the end of the week.
- 40 – 60 dips by the end of the week.
- 80 weightless squats by the end of the week.
- 250 sit-ups by the end of the week.
- 50 forward lunges (each leg)
Be sure to subscribe and like to receive weekly updates on the new workouts for the week. I will try to post them at the beginning of each week so that you have more time to fit wellness into your schedule.
3 thoughts on “F.E.A.T. Fitness: Summer Workout Series Week 2”